[Erp5-users] Installing ERP5 on Zope 2.8 / Python 2.4 / FreeBSD

Laurent DAVERIO daverio at cri.ensmp.fr
Mon Feb 18 10:13:14 CET 2008

Hello list,

this is my first post as a subscriber to this list, so please bear with
me... I've been developing and maintaining websites Using Zope/CMF/Plone
for several years, but I'm a complete newbie as regards ERP5.

I'm currently trying to install it on one of my servers but for the time
being I'm stuck in "dependency Hell", or rather, "version Hell". (Yes,
I've tried the LiveCD, with mixed results, and I decided that installing
from source would be a better option).

My server runs FreeBSD 6.x, and already hosts a variety of
Zope/Plinn/Plone2/Plone3 sites. On that server, Python is mostly 2.4
(2.5 is installed, but not used by Zope at all, and I've retired 2.3 a
couple of months ago). I mostly use Zope versions 2.9 and 2.10, although
2.8 and 3.3 are installed too.

After reading the erp5.org wiki pages about Download(ing)SourceCode and
SupportedZopeVersion, I settled on Zope 2.8 on Python 2.4 (I don't want
to reintroduce older versions on my machine). I managed to install
"correct" versions of the required dependencies (i.e., at least,
versions which don't block Zope from starting), with one exception, i.e.
the Localizer product :

Up to now, no combination of Localizer (0.x, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2) and itools
(0.7, 0.8, ...) has allowed me get Zope 2.8 to start. In addition, one
of my other sites is already using Localizer 1.1 + itools 0.8, and any
other version of itools breaks the site, but this is anpother problem.

Trying to leave the Localizer aside, and go on with the installation of
ERP5 from SVN, I get other errors, e.g. Zope complaining about not
finding the Erp5Diff product.

Now, I'm under the impression, after reading some mails in in the
erp5-reports mailing list, that there exists, somewhere, a specific
branche of ERP5 for Zope 2.8 (namely, some messages are tagged
"ERP5_z28"), but I see no trace of it in the public SVN repository.

To make a long story short : I'd be very grateful for any pointer
regarding the problems above. Once I get ERP5 up and running, I'm ready
to document (in the wiki or elsewhere) the steps I followed, including
detail on individual "known good" product versions, if anybody is
interested.

Thanks in advance,

Laurent.