[Erp5-dev] person and vat code

Bartek Gorny bartek at gorny.edu.pl
Thu Feb 5 15:56:11 CET 2009

2009/2/5 Jean-Paul Smets <jp at nexedi.com>:

> In the case of Poland, there is at least:
>    - fiscal_code (NIP) - for Person & Organisation
>    - social_code (PISEN) - for Person & Organisation
>    - vat_code (EC VAT Numbver) - for Organisation only

No. In Poland, there are only TWO codes:

- social_code (PESEL) - for Person
- "the other code" (NIP) - for Person and Organisation

The point you are still missing is that:

fiscal_code === vat_code

The official definition of a NIP is something like:

"A unique identifier provided by the tax administration for any
individual or organisation who is subject to any tax or social
security payments to Polish authorities".

(for Polish speakers: "Numer NIP to numer identyfikujący podmioty
będące na terenie Polski podatnikami, płatnikami podatków oraz
płatnikami składek ZUS.")

So, when I started a vat-paying business (established an Organisation,
if you prefer it that way), I used the same fiscal code as when I was
a consumer. There is no separate vat code. The EC vat number is the
same number prefixed by a country code.

Also, consider NGOs. An NGO is not a person - it is a legal entity,
like a corporation. It is not a vat payer. It is exempt from income
tax. But it has a tax identification (a NIP), exactly like a
corporation.

Bartek

> [...]
>> from an individual business into a corporate entity, then it can
>> retain a name, but it's NIP (tax id) will change. The corporate entity
>> does not automatically takes over everything - it may take over
>> contracts, clients, credits, investments, trade debtors etc, but
>> doesn't have to, so it is not a 100% continuation. It all depends on
>> the way it is established. And it has a different legal form, so I'd
>> be rather cautious in deciding whether it is the same Organisation or
>> a new one.
>>
>> Anyway, a Person does have a tax id, whether we call it vat_code or
>> something else, and it is legally required to file any tax or social
>> security form, so whatever approach we choose one property of a Person
>> is missing.
>>
>> Bartek
>>

>>> The only reason which could justify adding vat_code to a Person would be
>>> a case in which:
>>> - a private individual (Person) acts as a consumer (ie. not as an
>>> individual business)
>>> - purchases a product from a given supplier (Organisation)
>>> - and is requested a vat_code from that that supplier
>>>
>>> If you prefer: vat_code is delivered to private individuals which are
>>> not doing any business and are not registered as moral person in any
>>> form. I am not aware of any such case anywhere.
>>>
>>> About vat_code, codes, Person and Organisation. I only see the current
>>> issues nowadays in ERP5:
>>> 1- codes are multivalued in reality (they are single valued now). It is
>>> necessary to extend codes in a way similar to prices for resources or
>>> addresses for Person/Organisation ie. with subobjects and a default
>>> value. A given person can have multiple codes (ex. social, tax) which
>>> are unique for a given country.
>>> 2- codes currently consist of corporate_registration_code, social_code,
>>> vat_code, geographic_incorporate_code, activity_code. All of them are
>>> related to concepts which are universal worldwide. Some codes are
>>> missing though (ex. tax_code). I am interested in making a list of codes
>>> which is both universal and covers all cases.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> JPS.

>>> --
>>> Jean-Paul Smets-Solanes, Nexedi CEO - Tel. +33(0)6 62 05 76 14
>>> ERP5 Enterprise: Free / Open Source ERP for Critical Applications
>>> http://www.erp5.com
>>> ERP5 Express: Hosted Open Source ERP for small companies
>>> http://www.myerp5.com
>>> Nexedi: Consulting and Development of Free / Open Source Software
>>> http://www.nexedi.com

> --
> Jean-Paul Smets-Solanes, Nexedi CEO - Tel. +33(0)6 62 05 76 14
> ERP5 Enterprise: Free / Open Source ERP for Critical Applications
> http://www.erp5.com
> ERP5 Express: Hosted Open Source ERP for small companies
> http://www.myerp5.com
> Nexedi: Consulting and Development of Free / Open Source Software

"Software is largely a service industry operating under the persistent
but unfounded delusion that it is a manufacturing industry."
Eric S.Raymond, "The Magic Cauldron"