[Erp5-dev] multi-relation editor

Jean-Paul Smets jp at nexedi.com
Mon Jul 7 15:31:01 CEST 2008

Hi,

The Proxy system in ERP5 paves the way for users to select their
prefered widget for each purpose. This means that providing an
alternative to
    - relation field
    - date fields
    - etc.
with AJAX is becoming feasable. We welcome any contribution which:
    - is fully tested with functional tests (Zelenium)
    - does not break anything in the current system
    - does not replace existing fields (which many user love or are used to)
    - does not lower rendering time of forms

Now, about the relation field, the current one has the following
caracteristics:
    - requires only two server transaction, whatever the number of
fields in a form
    - compatible with selections out of  millions of items
    - does not stop the use when entering data

This is why it is much more suitable for network environments with high
latency and power users than more interactive solutions such as the one
you are describing.

Also, you should consider the following constraints about AJAX tools.
    - what if the user is asked to select 3 items out of 10,000,000 ?
    - is the widget compatible with network latency of 1,000 ms ?
Usually, most interactive widgets are nice when they are used with
little data on a local network and become unusable as soon as network
latency and data size increase.

One customer of ours chose ERP5 rather than interactive tools as the one
you describe because those tools failed on their VPN with millions of
records, although it was wonderful at first.