[Erp5-users] Fork Erp5

jp at nexedi.com jp at nexedi.com
Fri Jan 14 21:25:38 CET 2011

Hi,

I am replying as ERP5 project leader (and also original author).

First of all, please feel free to fork ERP5 as long as you change its
name and that there is no confusion between your fork and ERP5,
while at the same time retaining the moral rights of ERP5 authors.

Second, I feel this discussion lacks rationality. It seems to me that
you are not following the steps of the tutorial, that you have installation issues
and that your conclusion is to fork ERP5 to create features... which actually already
exist and are documented in the tutorials which you did not follow at first.

There is a documentation which covers all basic features.
100+ people were trained in 2010 through this documentation.
Did you follow it ? What are your issues with it ? It is hard to
understand why you can not succeed.

http://www.erp5.com/developer-Learning.Track.Forum/view

You are also asking for a simple configuration ERP5. It is called
TioLive. You can get an instance online (www.tiolive.com) or on
your own laptop (grid.tiolive.com). There is even a virtual machine
a packages for many distributions. Have you tried it ?  What are your
issues with it ? Most people I know can achieve this in 10 minutes.

If you are interested in ERP5 future, you can find roadmap and design
document on erp5.com web site. Have you read them ?
What else would you like ?

http://www.erp5.com/documentation/developer/design

Third, I think you should visit one of Nexedi offices (France, Germany,
Japan, Brazil, Sénégal) to better understand how it was possible to
keep a steady flow of R&D investment, pay the salaries of dozens of engineers,
all this without venture capital and thus without the risk of seing the
Freedom of ERP5 taken away, thus protecting the long term investment
of companies who implemented ERP5. At least, this should give you ideas
how to do better than we already do. You're my guest whenever you wish.

Regards,

JP Smets.
Nexedi CEO - ERP5 Project Leader

    Bartek,

    You said:

    "Otherwise - if you are not happy about it and would really like this
    project to have an active developer and user community - please state
    what you are going to do to make it happen. Open Source is truly not
    magic - just sitting there and complaining that people do not
    contribute won't do the trick. There are thousands of successful OS
    projects out there, and it is not a rocket science - it is not
    difficult to learn what it takes to make an OS project at least
    developer-friendly. This book: http://producingoss.com/ can be a good
    start.

    Please answer - and let's have it settled once and for good.

    Bartek"

    A Fork of Erp5 where the Forked Erp5 provides just the very basics of what
    the current
    " Nexedi Erp5 Community " does not support.

    Bartek, its hard to have "Community Support" when the "Community" has no
    true " Community Leader ".

    How can this be accomplished:

    Set up a public fund where companies/interested individuals can contribute
    whatever amounts for a lead Developer(s) to develop the VERY BASICS of what
    Erp5.org pretends to be:

    *Anybody's Suggestions/Ideas are welcome in addition to

    *Real Documentation - Just a tad more detail than what we've seen

    *Real FUNCTIONING How To's

    *Real configuration file examples - This is what I posted back in December
    2010:

    http://mail.tiolive.com/pipermail/erp5-users/20101228/001344.html

    Despite yesterday's flame war still no SAMPLE FUNCTIONING supervisor.conf
    file examples have been made available.� I say this to say even in a
    Community
    you have leaders leading the community.

    Maybe a Forked Erp5 can foster such.

    Can a better way be created ?