[Erp5-users] ERP-5. Past, Present Future.

Brainiac arebacollins at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 20:43:20 CET 2011

Hello guys,
I have been watching with amusement at the dogfights going on between guys
in this forum for the past few days. I have also noted with concern that
there seems to be some sort of disconnect between the initial vision and the
current state of affairs, maybe some feel aggrieved that erp-5 is not living
to its expectations, maybe some feel there is undue pressure from an
ungrateful, unpaying public. Thats for another story.

As someone that has come into the scene a bit late, i can tell where the
lines are drawn from the postings, i can even tell who is speaking in anger
and who is passionate. Either way, here is my 2 cnts. Clearly define
everything, there is all manner of software out there operating on different
business models, none is more "right", if you want to close source it, By
all means do it but in all, Be clear about it all.

Question:
1: What is the business model of openERP? how is the project going to
withstand time, business environment and the demands of support with
growth.
2: Who are the drivers of growth.
3: What is the current / expected user base.

These questions need to be answered by the founders. As it is, the
assumption is that it is open source, meaning community driven. No one
should
1: Bitch about being disturbed cause their contacts are out there as
"support" or "core"
2: Bitch about not getting answered cause , Hey, its Open source, here is
the code, figure out.

Either way clearly defined objectives would easily eliminate that. To deal
with this, i propose two things.

1: Project founders / creators come with a statement on where everything
stands. especially with the questions asked.
2: The rest of the "community" that is agitated sit, listen and work way
forward depending on feedback (or none if so) from the project founders.

Then we can move on. We could do this via skype, mail ..e.t.c

--
Old Ferry Road, off Msa Malindi Rd, | Kilifi, Kenya. +254 720 516758 /734
696821 | skype/gtalk/twitter:  arebacollins