[Erp5-users] What companies provide Erp5 Technical Support since Nexedi doesn't?

Nicolas Dumazet nicolas.dumazet at nexedi.com
Fri Jan 14 02:10:32 CET 2011

Hello Collins!

On 01/14/2011 05:49 AM, Collins Areba wrote:
> I tried it and finally decided to move to openERP for my hospital
> management solution. Looks decent and browsing the net shows there is
> significant credibility.

All the best with OpenERP, then.

> Either that or if guys are willing and ready we can just build a support
> community around erp5 and maybe make it work, if not fork it.

(Again, I do not speak on behalf on Nexedi)

The problem is exactly this. It works internally, it works for our
projects, but we do not have so much resources to write
community-oriented documentation, and do community management, or
community support on company time.

For the record, I actually write this answer from home, on my free time.

When users report documentation errors, we're happy to correct them.
When non-nexedi devs report technical issues, we (usually) discuss those
in public as well, when the mood on both sides is reasonably calm ;)

But we do not have, in any way, resources allocated to bootstrap
outsiders with close to zero knowledge on (Python/Zope/ERPs in general)
and to bring them up to ERP5 working speed. You might be underestimating
the time it takes to get used to such softwares...
It's easy for us to train new developers on site, when knowledge is
around, and when we know for sure that those developers will stick
around. But it's a bit innocent to expect a small company like Nexedi
(remember, we're 30, we are not Sun, or Google-like...) to have
resources to take care this early in the process, of a community, just
like that, for free.

You might be used to communities with larger Open ecosystems. Or
communities that have been spawned by VC-backed large-sized companies
that had such community buildup engraved in their business plan. We're
not VC-backed. We're small, and surprisingly (!) we spend most of our
time implementing solutions for our customers.

All our documentation is public. We do not have secretly stashed
developer/user documentation. Everything is public. In the past, things
used to be on the wiki, but received little to no contributions from
outside. They are now hosted on erp5.com: it is harder for outsiders to
modify this documentation, True, but given that (so far) we received
little contribution from outside, it's nicer to allow Nexedians to
publish "as is" OpenOffice rich documentation.

If a serious core of community members build up, and improve
documentation, then I'm sure that a lot of folks would benefit from this.

You guys can fight on Brazilian numbers -- I'm in Japan, I can't know --
but the reality is that Rafael comes up regularly, behind the scenes,
with reports, and improvements suggested by Brazilian users. I don't
care so much if you disagree, or do not believe me.
The reality is that it improves slowly ERP5 for us, and for them as
well, and we're happy with this collaboration: it's a very young
partnership, and on such a short timespan, the "23" posts you mentioned
since October and the behind the scenes improvements, are very valuable.

I hope that this is insightful. And again this is "just" a personal reply.

Regards,

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 11:34 PM, SoftwareRadioGuy
> <softwaredefinesradio at gmail.com <mailto:softwaredefinesradio at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hello All,
>

>     It is common knowledge around the ERP software industry that Nexedi
>     does not support its users without commanding a boatload of $ while
>     still not guaranteeing their work after you've made payment to them.
>
>     This is what makes me hesitant at this point as I cant get Nexedi to
>     give me straight answers.   The link below was true then, and
>     unfortunately, true now:
>
>     http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.zope.erp5.general/738
>
>     Bartek is correct 100% regarding Brazil.
>
>     I read that there is a 1600+ Brazilian Erp5 community members,
>     (actually 3000+),
>     yet, looking at the Brazil Erp5-users forum:
>
>     *Only shows a TOTAL of 23 posts since October of last year.*
>     http://www.softwarepublico.gov.br/dotlrn/clubs/erp5/forums/forum-view?forum_id=23751974
>     **
>     *The Brazil Erp5-Developers list shows ZERO POSTS?!?!?!?*:
>     http://www.softwarepublico.gov.br/dotlrn/clubs/erp5/forums/forum-view?forum_id=23751414
>

>     I think Nexedi created what has been rumored to be a good Erp
>     solution, but everything
>     else about providing support from them, makes you wanna run from Nexedi.
>
>     What companies are out there that your aware of that provides honest
>     straight forward
>     non-vauge technical support for Erp5?

Nicolas Dumazet
Nexedi