[Erp5-users] Just a splash window...

alessandro bottoni alessandro.bottoni at infinito.it
Wed Jan 19 18:43:18 CET 2005

Alle 17:32, mercoledì 19 gennaio 2005, Sebastian Ware ha scritto:
>  From what I understand, we need to do a lot of configuring to have the
> ERP5 installation run as a useful application.

Well, I can see that we could have to install a few more Zope components than
the single "ERP5 Site" one, but I still cannot see neither how we can access
a useful user interface (like the "Main window" you can see in Plone, for
example) nor how we can configure it.

I tried to install all the other Zope components that came with the URPMI
automatic download and none of them seems to be able to generate a useful UI.
I wonder if I miss any component (and why, given that URPMI managed the
download and the installation).

Moreover, I tried to play a lot with the Zope and the ERP5 site "manage"
interfaces without being able to get any useful UI for a possible end user.

> The documentation of this is a bit sketchy, look at:
>
> http://www.erp5.org/workspaces/project/guide/index.html/view
> (BTW, some (hopefully very useful) images seem to be missing in
> http://www.erp5.org/workspaces/project/guide/workflow)

I read all the available docs but none of them seems to care about the "first
use" or the "system configuration check" issue. They all stops just after
having told you to install the "ERP5 Site" Zope component. I wonder what we
are expected to to next.

> Work is underway on a "Live CD" which is supposed to be a fully
> configured, running, installation that we should be able to run
> straight off a CD. Unfortunately the progress of this "Live CD" is
> poorly communicated. Being outside the Nexedi team, it is difficult to
> know when to expect it.

This is a good new and a bad new at the same time. It is a good new because it
means that sooner or later we will be able to see ERP5 to run from the Live
CD. It is a bad new because it means that even the people at Nexedi consider
ERP5 very hard to install (despite URPMI and the Zope "Add" feature).

Of course, we can use a Live CD to evaluate ERP5 or to demonstrate it but I
think we cannot use a Live CD for a real-world installation. After all, ERP5
is much more complicated than a CD-based Linux Firewall. What we really need
is a robust and complete URPMI installation and configuration procedure.

> I can only hope there will be some regular posting regarding the
> progress of the "Live CD" on this mailing-list. All I have heard is
> that a lot of hard work is being put into completing it. The muslims
> say it best "Inshallah, it will be ready soon..."
> http://glimpseofiraq.blogspot.com/2004/11/inshallah-mashallah.html
>
> Regards Sebastian Ware

I hope our prayer will be heared soon.