[Erp5-users] Fork Erp5

MLO yeshappytrader at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 23:04:57 CET 2011

Hi!,

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM, <jp at nexedi.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am replying as ERP5 project leader (and also original author).

Your a leader?

> First of all, please feel free to fork ERP5 as long as you change its
> name and that there is no confusion between your fork and ERP5,

Thank you :)

> while at the same time retaining the moral rights of ERP5 authors.

" Moral " = Thats the word I wished you guys would have utilized towards
the " Nexedi Initiated Erp5 Community Members " years ago.

Second, I feel this discussion lacks rationality. It seems to me that
> you are not following the steps of the tutorial, that you have installation
> issues
> and that your conclusion is to fork ERP5 to create features... which
> actually already
> exist and are documented in the tutorials which you did not follow at
> first.

I wont beat a dead horse, but Like Tracy R. Reed, the Zope
Developer/Programmer whom yesterday told me he not only has given up on Erp5
years ago, but Plone based software,
meaning Zope, as well, quit because he couldn't get things configured
himself per your tutorials.  So both he and I are stupid.  Your smart.
Everyone agrees with you! :)

> There is a documentation which covers all basic features.
> 100+ people were trained in 2010 through this documentation.

Did you follow it ? What are your issues with it ? It is hard to
> understand why you can not succeed.
>
> http://www.erp5.com/developer-Learning.Track.Forum/view

Yes looks good.  I'll go through with it head to toe again and report back.

> You are also asking for a simple configuration ERP5. It is called
> TioLive. You can get an instance online (www.tiolive.com) or on
> your own laptop (grid.tiolive.com). There is even a virtual machine
> a packages for many distributions. Have you tried it ?  What are your
> issues with it ? Most people I know can achieve this in 10 minutes.

As I explained it to you before on the phone, and via email, having
you/ANYONE else outside of us HOST our data is not an option.

It has nothing to do with you personally, but most entities are like that.
I'm going to have members of the UN oversee stuff on the server.
That's UN as in the United Nations...

If you are interested in ERP5 future, you can find roadmap and design
> document on erp5.com web site.

Have you read them ?

Yes

> What else would you like ?

Other than $1 Trillion dollars, & world peace,  I'd like a Erp5 community
where
they aren't afraid of/or mistrustful of its creator.

But I'm a idiot to ask for that.

 http://www.erp5.com/documentation/developer/design

> Third, I think you should visit one of Nexedi offices (France, Germany,
> Japan, Brazil, Sénégal)

Yeah, I'll have someone look into both Senegal and Brazil.

to better understand how it was possible to
> keep a steady flow of R&D investment, pay the salaries of dozens of
> engineers,
> all this without venture capital

When I explained to you that, available to me was a server where Erp5 is
installed
along with Erp5 Barcode, and that I simply wanted to be able to scan those
impoverished African farmers commodity X or Y into Erp5 Inventory, then
create
a Sales Order, etc., you told me you wanted a 6 figure a year contract
minimum
and that we'd have to have, on-site, 2  Nexedi Engineers for 12 months.

These are African Farmers whom wear flip flops and use Donkeys.

I dont feel sorry for you.

> and thus without the risk of seing the Freedom of ERP5 taken away,

No my fault!

Look at how you treat people?

I've gotten emails from entites/whomever interested in giving Nexedi $ but
they
dont trust you.  You tell them you dont guarantee the end result when they

1.  Fly to your Offices - From Chicago roundtrip $1400 (Why cant you provide
webinars?)
2.  Give you their $
3.  Feel CONFIDENT when they walk away, Nexedi will support them

> thus protecting the long term investment of companies who implemented ERP5.

Like Tracy R. Reed, the Zope Developer/Programmer whom yesterday told
me he not only has given up on Erp5 years ago, but Zope as well.

THIS REALLY ALARMS ME even if I try and use Erp5 outside of Nexedi.

Whats more scary is locally here in Chicago, is seems there is a declining
of interest in Zope, which really means anyone using Erp5 and gets stuck
they are really at your mercy.  Who wants to live like that?

At least, this should give you ideas how to do better than we already do.

Thank you!

Through both your actions and inactions, I've gotten some great ideas, and
as
a result of Nexedi being the way you are, irrespective of me, there is a
"niche"
NON-NEXDEI Erp5 demand that has been building up for awhile.  You guys
created it

;)

Thank you

> You're my guest whenever you wish.

I will most certainly try ;)

I'm from Chicago, and we have Motorola and alot of out of work people
whom may or may not be interested in this.

Again what worries me is there seems to be a decline in Zope based training
which means entities will be MORE dependent on Nexedi.  NOT GOOD!

And if it turns out that there is a lack of demand for Zope from an employer
point of view, you can keep Erp5 :)

Why be enslaved to 1 entity like Terry R. Reed previously said back in 2007?

> Regards,
>
> JP Smets.
> Nexedi CEO - ERP5 Project Leader

Sincerely,