[Erp5-dev] ISO country codes in ERP5

Łukasz Nowak lukasz.nowak at ventis.com.pl
Fri Apr 11 12:21:25 CEST 2008

Hello,

On 2008-04-10, 17:07:24
Jean-Paul Smets <jp at nexedi.com> wrote:

> Łukasz Nowak a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > In business world there is need to use ISO Country Codes for
> > parties.
> >
> > From developer point of view country to ISO Country Code is just
> > simple mapping, eg: 'Poland' => 'PL', 'France' => 'FR'. And more -
> > such map is published on ISO site in various formats:
> > http://www.iso.org/iso/country_codes/iso_3166_code_lists.htm
> >
> > Where in ERP5 such mapping shall reside? In
> > portal_categories/region as codification property for country (that
> > is what we are doing right now)?
> This is one way of doing, although it is not always desirable to have
> the full ISO list for everyone (this is why there is no default
> category in ERP5).
> I would suggest to put a link to this list in the erp5.org (it is
> maybe already there).
> This area:
>     http://www.erp5.org/ResourceLibrary
> is meant for that.

Didn't find any, so I create new page:
http://www.erp5.org/ResourceLibrary/ISOCountryCodes

Also on http://www.erp5.org/ResourceLibrary I made place for
ISO-related business knowledge.

> > Those data might change from time to time and what about historical
> > changes? Anything else...?
> >
> In some cases, we have set a workflow on categories to define which
> are in use and which are not.
>
> By using the checked_permission or state parameter, we only display
> those categories which are still in use, while preserving legacy data.
>
> This way, it is possible to keep old category definitions and
> introduce new ones during the life of the system, without doing heavy
> data migration.
>
> The reason why this workflow is not set in default is because the more
> workflows in the system, the less performance. It is also possible to
> achieve similar result by changing effective data parameters in
> categories.

Well - I wanted to find out "ideal" solution for this, but in out
implementation everything what is needed, is that region subcategories
will have codification set on country-like regions.

``Use the Source, Luke...'' I am only craftsman.