[Erp5-dev] Experimental repository documentation structure

Łukasz Nowak lukasz.nowak at ventis.com.pl
Thu Mar 20 10:28:10 CET 2008

Hello,

On 2008-03-19, 14:06:57
Rafael Monnerat <rafael at nexedi.com> wrote:

> I think that that experimental stuff is really great. In some cases
> we can find some very interesting stuff in there. But I think that
> create too much experimental stuff you can create some parts
> impossible to maintain. IMHO, experimental code stuff should be
> reviewed and included part by part in main code, of course if this
> case provides a good behavior and tested.
>
> Notes that some experimental code can propose a new design of one
> tool, like a new production process or modules that use Linear
> Programming for Optimize Sales (just one example). In these cases can
> be create a non experimental stuff but some real bt5, like
> "erp5_another_trade" and stored at some community repository. (I
> think NEXEDI can provide it as experimental)
>
> I'm not sure if was clear enough because my bad english, but I think
> that the code and documentation should be centralized and merger as
> much as possible, in order to not create unmaintainable parts used by
> unhappy ERP5 clients :) .

I totally agree, that some parts of experimental shall be merged with
core, and than be removed from experimental.

But projects running by external developers without proper skills in
ERP5/Zope/etc (just like me), but connected with ERP5 are fitting
quite well into experimental. I doubt if they would be merged into ERP5
main repository in short time - those projects will live as long as they
will be *maintained* by external developers.

That's why I think that creating and providing documentation place for
such projects is important. I think that emphasise about not meeting
ERP5 quality of those projects would be enough informative for ERP5
clients/community/users/etc. And keep in mind, that many of
experimental projects might start as "external developer itch" - and
there might be no interest from ERP5 core maintainers to have them in
core system. And that's correct from open-source development view - but
why not provide platform for such people, do to collaborative work, and
integrate it a little - by common wikipages, mailing list, etc - with
ERP5?

Well - that's my personal opinion - as soon as experimental started and
I've got rw on this repository, I made decision to do some parts of my
work public in experimental. Tools I try to create aren't ideal, but I
hope, that as my skills in ERP5 will grow, some parts of my work
achieve "acceptable state to be reviewed" (not: merged!). And I do my
best to provide my work "usable" from beginning.

``Use the Source, Luke...'' I am only craftsman.