[Erp5-dev] ERP5 Release System - proposal

Yoshinori Okuji yo at nexedi.com
Wed Oct 3 11:55:10 CEST 2007

On Monday 01 October 2007 12:03, Łukasz Nowak wrote:
> What we proposed was semi-release scenario - after reading your email I
> feel, that you want to provide releases as good as possible - that's
> great. What driven us for such release process was cutting down costs
> of releases from Nexedi and put it on community - so it would be more
> like community driven releases - and it would be stated on release
> related information. But (if I understood you well) you'd like to
> Nexedi have full control of release process - then community will be
> happy (I hope), because releases quality will be much higher.

No, this is _not_ what I meant. I mentioned that release management should not
be independent of development processes, and a few (not only single, but also
not too many) highly skilled people should collaborate. I do not care about
whether release managers are working for Nexedi or not, as long as they are
capable of handling the management gracefully, just as the Zope2 maintainer
is not working for Zope Corporation, but a leading developer.

My belief comes from my experience in other projects. If you look at some
Linux distributions, such as Debian and Red Hat, the package maintainers, who
can be viewed as release managers in a sense, very often developers in the
upstream as well, and contribute tremendously. When they don't, sometimes
happening in other distributions, no collaboration exists, and their
relationship with real developers is extremely bad.

Also, note that I regard you as a candidate of a release manager. You have
been contributing significantly, and you have proven that you have good
skills. Naturally, it depends on what you would like to do, but I would feel
very good if you would be a member of such release managemet.

> I didn't know the state of discussion about releases in ERP5 - they
> weren't publicised for now. So I'm quite happy to read that much about
> ERP5 development. I hope that current development model of ERP5 is able
> to accept any release model.

I am sorry that I hadn't before, but it was only because my idea was still
very vague. Perhaps, nearly all people in Nexedi even didn't know that I had
been thinking about this for a long time.

YO
--
Yoshinori Okuji, Nexedi CTO
ERP5: Full Featured High End Open Source ERP