[Erp5-users] ERP5 and Plone

jp at nexedi.com jp at nexedi.com
Sun Jul 31 17:55:18 CEST 2011

Hi,

You can integrate to ERP5 an external CMS, such as Plone or any other CMS also, using so-called "External Source". You will then be able to use ERP5 built-in full text search to search both documents stored inside ERP5 and documents stored outside ERP5.

There is no plan to make ERP5 and Plone run inside the same CMF Site or even on the same ZODB. I discourage you from trying. We tried with with both Plone and CPS many years ago. We also successfuly ported some ERP5 high performance components to Plone. But this type of integration eventually failed for social reasons related to incompatible development lifecyles of the two projects, as well as different development goals.

You will get a more reliable solution by running both applications independently, with a better control of upgrades, version of python, version Zope, patches, etc. While web sites are often upgraded, ERPs tend to be upgraded less frequently. Having a separation preserves the possibility to upgrade only the part which needs to be.

You may also have a look at ERP5 Web / ERP5 DMS which provide quite sophisticated document management and web site creation.

Regards,

JP Smets.
Nexedi CEO