[Erp5-users] Help requested from developers, implementers, and end users....

bartek bartek at erp5.pl
Tue Aug 28 15:59:31 CEST 2007

survey at trentend.com wrote:
> Just a quick thank you to the few people from the community who have
> taken the time to
> fill in my survey. I think it's fair to say that the response has been
> a little
> disappointing overall, but not entirely unexpected.

There may be more then one reason for the low response: first, there
were quite a few such surveys recently, and it is no surprise that
response rate is declining. And second, I wanted to fill it in, and I
tried to access it immediately after your first announcement. And got an
error message...

Bartek

> [...]
>> will benefit the community, in return, by increased profile
>>
>> and increased formal recognition.
>>

>> The survey can be found at:
>> [url]http://trentend.com/phpESP/public/survey.php?name=OSERP[/url]
>>
>> or via the tiny url of: [url]http://tinyurl.com/3dptnp[/url]
>>
>> The tiny url can be previewed at:
>>
>>     [url]http://preview.tinyurl.com/3dptnp[/url]
>>

>> Please feel free to circulate this request to anyone who may have an
>> involvement with ERP systems, and who would be prepared to
>>
>> fill out the survey.  The more respondents, the more valuable the
>> information which can be drawn from it.  The survey will run
>>
>> for approximately one week from this posting.
>>

>> Background
>> -------------
>>
>> Currently the author is involved in academic research, as part of a
>> higher degree in Business Management, into the use of Open
>>
>> Source ERP systems in the enterprise. He is responsible for
>> implementation and maintenance of a proprietary Manufacturing
>>
>> Resource Planning (MRP) system, which is licensed on a monthly cycle.
>> It is the intention to replace this system with an Open
>>
>> Source Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system in the mid to long
>> term.    The author is a proponent of Open Source in
>>
>> general, and Open Source ERP systems in particular.  It is hoped that
>> this research will provide some insight into the position
>>
>> of Open Source ERP's in the market place, and the perception of it's
>> suitability.  It is also hoped to raise the formal profile
>>
>> of ERP systems as serious tools in the Enterprise.
>>
>> This research can be made available to interested members of the
>> community, as a .pdf file, after publication.  Please apply to
>>
>> the author at survey at trentend dot com, and your email address will
>> be retained, and a link to the completed paper distributed
>>
>> to those interested parties.  This is the only purpose for which such
>> email addresses would be used. The survey itself is
>>
>> anonymous, and does not require email validation.  There is no need to
>> provide any such details, if you prefer not to.
>>
>> Completing this survey will take you little time - it's seven simple
>> questions, does not require you to write anything (the
>>
>> required elements are check box, or radio button, questions) -
>> genuinely no more than five minutes of your time.  It will be of
>>
>> an enormous assistance to me, and ultimately will ensure that your
>> views are represented in the completed research.  I hope you
>>
>> will consider this valuable contribution, an insignificant hardship.
>>
>> In the meantime, keep up the good work.  Open Source business systems
>> are held in very high regard, and are extremely valuable
>>
>> to those of us who believe organisations (particularly the small and
>> medium sized enterprise) should remain free from
>>
>> limitations imposed by proprietary licensing.
>>
>> By completing this survey, you may help a wider audience consider the
>> value of this approach on a wider scale.

"feelings affect productivity. (...) unhappy people write worse
software, and less of it."
Karl Fogel, "Producing Open Source Software"