[Erp5-users] ERP5 Users FAQ v 0.1

Sebastian Ware sebastian at grandvinum.se
Tue Jan 3 16:44:57 CET 2006

This FAQ is created to motivate both Nexedi and the ERP5 community to
improve
documentation. ERP5 is said to be easy to use once you get the hang
of it.
However, right now getting there probably means visiting France. Nice
as that
might be, it is not allways feasible.

Regards Sebastian Ware

This is a compilation of questions found in the erp5-users at erp5.org
mailing list.
It covers April, 2005 - Jan 3, 2006

if you read this and would like to improve it, please go ahead and
post an update
by posting it on erp5-users at erp5.org. Make sure you increase the
minor version
number by one (i.e. from  v0.1 to v0.2 or v0.9 to v0.10 etc).

We'll leave it up to the ERP5 team to decide whether it should go
official.

-----------------------
Q: I am a complete newbie, where do I start?

1 Start by browsing through this FAQ.

2 Then read some articles on ERP5.
   http://pythonology.org/success&story=nexedi

3 Read the tutorial (there is a link in the FAQ).

4 Download the "live CD" (pointers in the FAQ).

5 Install a Business Template and do some exploring

6 Join the mailing list
    http://erp5.org/mailman/listinfo/erp5-users

-----------------------
Q: I get lots of errors when trying to run ERP5, what is wrong?

- April, 2005 (Yoshinori Okuji)
I'd recommend you reading this article:

-----------------------
Q: What is ERP5?

- (ERP5.org) -----------------------------------------------------
ERP5 is a full featured high end Open Source / Libre Software
solution published under GPL license and used for mission critial ERP/
CRM/MRP/SCM/PDM applications by industrial organisations and
government agencies.

- June, 2004 (http://pythonology.org/success&story=nexedi)
The ERP5 project started in 2002 when Coramy, an apparel industry
leader in Europe, decided to migrate its in-house ERP solution to a
new open source model. The choice of open source for Coramy ERP was a
strategic move to reduce software maintenance costs and to allow
Coramy to retain complete control over its custom developments,
something that would have been impossible with standard proprietary
ERP solutions.

-----------------------
Q: What is Z3ERP?

www.z3erp.org

- August, 2005 (Aurélien Calonne)
On the behalf of ERP5 developer community,I am pleased to announce
Zope3 / ERP Project and its new moto: "no overhead, high performance".

The goal of the Z3ERP project is to leverage the Zope3 platform and
build an ERP solution based on ERP5 technologies with the capability of
handling more than 1,000 concurrent users or 1,000,000,000 business
records and compete with the famous proprietary ERP solutions. The
project has been discussed with ERP5 developers and customers in Africa,
Americas, Asia and Europe for now one year. Initial high performance
experimentations have been conducted with success and give us the
confidence that this goal can be reached.

Besides high performance, the project aims at providing full
compatibility with Zope2 implementations of ERP5, developing Javascript
Web user interfaces (AJAX) which increase enterprise productivity and
are compatible with high latency WAN networks, creating predefined
localisation guidelines and developing efficient model based
configuration solutions

-----------------------
Q: What is the status of ERP5?

- January, 2006 (Jean-Paul Smets)
ERP5
	- ERP5 certified accounts were produced last spring
	- refactoring of production modules has been completed last summer
	- refactoring of business templates has been completed last week
	- simplified version of ERP5 is now used in small companies
	- high end version of ERP5 is now implemented in very large companies

Next Step
	- New web site with simplified structure and documentation

-----------------------
Q: What is the status of Z3ERP?

- January, 2006 (Jean-Paul Smets)
Z3ERP
	- Roadmap defined
	- ZSQLCatalog was optimised and accelerated by 4 to 10 times

Next step
	- ZSQLCatalog for Zope3

-----------------------
Q: Which version of Zope should I use?

- January, 2006 (Jean-Paul Smets)
The recommended way is the LiveCD.

Otherwise, it is required to install all the dependencies of ERP5 and
recompile Zope with a patch. Everything is provided in our source RPMs
(dependencies and patch).

http://www.nexedi.org/static/Mandrake/10.2/SRPMS/
http://www.nexedi.org/static/Mandrake/10.2-devel/SRPMS/

Getting the same result as with the livecd would take a few hours. It
is not
really difficult but requires some experience.

- December, 2005 (Jean-Paul Smets) -
The global list of dependencies is provided here:

http://cvs.erp5.org/umigumi/config/erp5_cd.py?view=markup&rev=1.25

The recommended version number is the version number used in Mandriva
Linux
(version 10.2, 2005 or 2006).

Also, some packages must be overriden by Nexedi packages:

http://nexedi.org/static/Mandrake/
(take the ones for 10.2 in priority)

Finally, you should not use Formulator 1.9 because it is no longer
compatible with Localizer (we hope to fix that).

-----------------------
Q: Which Zope-products do I need to install to get ERP5 running?

- October, 2005 (Rafael Monnerat)
I write a Installation Guide based in my install on slackware and
after I
revised using Install on Mandriva. A big problem is the Guide are in
portuguese, not english. I can write a generic few steps, but I don't
know
very much about Debian.

Is there a package convert? rpm2deb? you can used that to install the
Zope
on nexdi....

Install the "dependencies" ( python libraries and zope products) as
the same
way you install on others zope instances...

Python Libraries

* PyXML (v. 0.8.4)
* Numeric
* PIL
* ReportLab 1.20
* ElementTree (1.2.6)
* Psyco ( 1.3 )

Install Products

* Formulator (1.9.0)
* Photo (1.2.3)
* Localizer (1.1.0)
* CMF (1.4.8)
* TranslationService (0.4)
* BTreeFolder2 (1.0.1)
* CMFPhoto (1.2.3)
* ZMailin (1.0.1)
* CMFMailin ( 1.0.1)
* CMFReportTool
* CMFWiki ('retired-20040908' )

Install the ERP5 from CVS, install these Products:

* Base18
* CMFActivity
* CMFCategory
* CMFTranslation
* ERP5
* ERP5Catalog
* ERP5Compatibility
* ERP5Form
* ERP5OOo
* ERP5SyncML
* ZMySQLDDA
* ZSQLCatalog

Copy the files :

* /usr/lib/zope/python/Products/ERP5/Extensions/InventoryBrain.py
* /usr/lib/zope/python/Products/ZSQLCatalog/zsqlbrain.py

* /var/lib/zope/Extensions

include the line on ERP5Compatibility/__init__.py

* import Products.ERP5.Tool.Category

Remove all files in MySQLDDA/help

I hope this mail help you install. If you have an error during
Install post
the error here.

- August, 2005 (Bartłomiej Górny)
Installation of CVS version of ERP5 on Mandrake Linux

by Relja Stanisavljevic and Bart³omiej Górny

Most of the required packages you can find on:
http://smets.com/static/Mandrake/10.2/SRPMS/

Some of them are located in 10.1 and 10.0 directories.

For other packages either google or use the links given at the end of
this document.

Follow these steps to install and run the CVS version of ERP5.

1) Install the following:

- python (2.3.5 and 2.4.1 are ok)

- psyco-1.4-src.tar.gz

- ReportLab 1.10

- python-reportlab-accel-0.52.20050424-1mdk.src.rpm

- itools-0.7.4-1mdk.src.rpm

- Imaging-1.1.5.tar.gz (from effbot.org)

- MySQL-Max

- Numeric-24.0b2.tar.gz (Python add-on)

- PyXML-0.8.4.tar.gz

(probably some more things that we already had...)

2) Get Zope

- download zope-2.7.2rc1-1nxd.i586.rpm

- extract zope source and Zope-2.7.2-rc1-aq_dynamic.patch

- apply patch (patch -p1 < ../Zope-2.7.2-rc1-aq_dynamic.patch)

- build zope, make zope instance

- install iHotfix-0.5.2 (download iHotfix-0.5.2-2mdk.src.rpm, extract
the source, apply patch, copy __init__.py and version.txt to
INSTANCE_HOME/Products/iHotfix)

3) Install required Zope Products

Get the following files, extract source from each of them, apply
patches where any are present, then copy the result to your
INSTANCE_HOME/Products directory, stripping version numbers from
directory names).

BTreeFolder2-1.0.1.tar.gz
CMF-1.4.8.tar.gz
CMFMailIn-1.0.0-2nxd.src.rpm
CMFPhoto-1.2.3-5mdk.src.rpm
CMFReportTool-0.1.1.20050422-1mdk.src.rpm
Formulator-1.9.0.tgz (apply Formulator-1.8.0-Editable.patch)
Localizer-1.1.0-3mdk.src.rpm
Photo-1.2.3-5mdk.src.rpm
TranslationService-0.4-1mdk.src.rpm
ZMailIn-1.0.1-2mdk.src.rpm
ZMySQLDA-2.0.9b2-5mdk.src.rpm

4) Tweak setup

Copy:

INSTANCE_HOME/Products/ERP5/Extensions/InventoryBrain.py
INSTANCE_HOME/Products/ZSQLCatalog/zsqlbrain.py

INSTANCE_HOME/Extensions

5) Get the following from CVS:

CMFActivity
CMFCategory
CMFTranslation
ERP5
ERP5Catalog
ERP5Form
ERP5SyncML
ERP5Type
ZSQLCatalog
erp5_bt5

Place it all in your INSTANCE_HOME/Products

6) INSTANCE_HOME/bin/.runzope

7) Create an erp5 site

Add ERP5 Site from ZMI

It takes a long time, so be patient; if you check processes with
'top' and see nothing going on, don't panic - this is normal. Keep
waiting - it will show up eventually.

Links to some of the required packages (found by Relja):

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.3.5/Python-2.3.5.tar.bz2
http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope/2.7.6/Zope-2.7.6-final.tgz
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/psyco/psyco-1.4-src.tar.gz?download
http://effbot.org/downloads/Imaging-1.1.5.tar.gz
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mysql-python/MySQL-
python-0.9.2.tar.gz?download
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/numpy/Numeric-23.8.tar.gz?download
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pyxml/PyXML-0.8.4.tar.gz?download
http://www.zope.org/Products/CMF/CMF-1.4.8/CMF-1.4.8.tar.gz
http://nexedi.org/static/Mandrake/SOURCES/CMFPhoto-1.2.3.tar.bz2
http://www.zope.org/Members/NIP/ZMailIn/1.0.1/ZMailIn-1-0-1.tgz
http://hathawaymix.org/Software/BTreeFolder2/BTreeFolder2-1.0.1.tar.gz
http://www.zope.org/Members/nuxeo/Products/NuxUserGroups/
NuxUserGroups-0.9.3-1/NuxUserGroups-0.9.3-1.tgz
http://www.zope.org/Members/shh/ExtFile/1.4.4/ExtFile-1.4.4.tar.gz
http://www.zope.org/Members/teyc/ZGDChart/ZGDChart-0.6.5
http://www.zope.org/Members/shh/ZopeTestCase/0.9.8/
ZopeTestCase-0.9.8.tar.gz
http://www.zope.org/Members/efge/TranslationService/0.4/
TranslationService-0.4.tgz
http://cvs.zope.org/CMF/CMFWiki/CMFWiki.tar.gz?tarball=1
http://www.infrae.com/download/Formulator/1.9.0/Formulator-1.9.0.tgz

-----------------------
Q: What is the "live CD"?

- August, 2005 (Yoshinori Okuji)
We are happy to announce the release of the third release candidate of
the ERP5 Live CD. Please assume that this is a test version. You should
expect that the Live CD is still unstable and can lead to massive data
loss, although we have made a lot of effort to make it robust.

This version is available only by BitTorrent:

http://bittorrent.com/

Once you set up BitTorrent, you can download the image file from this
http://torrent.erp5.org/erp5-1.0rc3.iso.torrent

After you get the file, you can burn the image into a CD-R or CD-RW.

If you have already tried the previous version, you will have to remove
the folder "erp5cd" and remake it. Otherwise, the Zope Products won't
be freshed correctly.

Note that this Live CD requires some free space on your hard disk in
order to store data in a permanent location. Please read carefully the
file "readme.txt" in the CD, before booting.

Here is a list of important changes:

- Added support for persistent configuration by config.tgz, config.sh
and
config.xml.

- Added support for ZEO.

- Added more useful packages, such as cvs, cervisia and pdftk.

-----------------------
Q: I have downloaded the "live CD" but can't burn it. What am I doing
wrong?

- September, 2005 (Zoong PHAM)
 > I am trying to burn the image file (fs.img) in a CD but it shows
me an
 > error "isn't a CD image file". I am using Windows and Magic
 > ISO Maker. I
 > will appreciate some hints.

After uncompressing the downloaded file, you will see a file with
extension
.iso.

You need to burn that iso image to a CD using any burning software.

The fs.img is one of the files in the iso image.
fs.img is NOT the file that you should burn to a CD.

-----------------------
Q: I am running the "live CD", but have problems with the video card?

- August, 2005 (Alexandre Boeglin)
What are your video card and monitor ?
You can try to force a generic driver by adding "xdrv=vesa" to the boot
line.

-----------------------
Q: I am running the "live CD", how do I login?

- July, 2006 (Shrenik Bhura)
User:    zope
Passwd:  zope

-----------------------
Q: What is the root password for the "live CD" to login to the Linux
box in order
     to do some network setting?

- June, 2006 (Jean-Paul Smet)

user:   root
passwd: erp5root

-----------------------
Q: Where is the documentation?

- January, 2006 (Jean-Paul Smets)
Actually ERP5 is not complex but is still not enough documented. We
have now
about 200 pages of documentation but we think 2000 pages would be
required
to teach everything. Since it is impossible to produce at this stage, we
will first concentrate on documenting core features of ERP5 and
extending
the documenting towards more advanced features whenever time or
resources
permit.

One of our goals in 2006 is to make a few core business templates
easy to
use and documented.

- May, 2005 (Yoshinori Okuji)
I'm pleased to announce the first version of the English translation of
Kevin's Tutorial. You can find the PDF version and the OpenOffice.org
version
from this URL:

http://www.erp5.org/sections/documentation/articles/

I acknowledge Chris Purves and Shrenik Bhura for their great
contribution to
this work. Also, I send kudos to Kevin Deldycke and Jean-Paul Smets-
Solanes
for their help.

Please feel free to send bug reports about the translation and/or the
original
document to the mailing list erp5-dev.

- April, 2005 (Jean-Paul Smets)
I posted a tutotial on ERP5. It is good according to some developers who
learnt with it, it has 70 pages but
	- it still has some inconsistencies (although I proof read it 3 times)
	- it is in French (I am really sorry)

If anyone wants to translate it in English, I would be quite grateful.

http://www.erp5.org/sections/documentation/articles/
erp5_developer_tutor3600/view
http://www.erp5.org/sections/documentation/articles/
erp5_developer_tutor/view
http://www.erp5.org/sections/documentation/articles/view

-----------------------
Q: Is anybody using ERP5 in production?

- May, 2005 (Yoshinori Okuji)
We may not say much due to trade secret, but, yes, ERP5 is used in
several
production systems.

- June, 2004 (http://pythonology.org/success&story=nexedi)
ERP5 is in production in the apparel industry and government agencies
with multi-gigabyte databases that track millions of warehouse stock
movements. ERP5 is written entirely in Python and leverages the Zope
Enterprise Objects framework to provide high performance and
availability on clusters of inexpensive PCs.

-----------------------
Q: I have problems installing Business Templates. Why?

- January, 2006 (Bartłomiej Górny)
 From what Nexedi guys are saying, business templates
available for download are meant to work with the most recent (CVS)
version of ERP5. No use of trying to get them to work with LiveCD.

-----------------------
Q: Why MySQL-max? Does it Work with MySQL? Has a special reason?

- September, 2005 (Yoshinori Okuji)
Because of InnoDB.

-----------------------
Q: Is ERP5Shop working?

- September, 2005 (Yoshinori Okuji)
Yes, as you see in storever.com. But you need a good version of MMMShop.
Currently, ERP5Shop is being redesigned.

-----------------------
Q: In CVS have a erp5_catalog, when I install this template, the Erp5
has problems?

- September, 2005 (Yoshinori Okuji)
Please don't use erp5_catalog.

-----------------------
Q: Can I use ERP5 with OpenBSD?

- July, 2005 (Sebastien Robin)
ERP5 may run on OpenBSD, and we don't want it Linux-specific, even if we
use only GNU/Linux.

But it may be somewhat difficult to get it running on OpenBSD. May be
some
python package are missing, you will need to pach zope (our patch is
available with the rpm of zope provided by Nexedi) and I'm not sure our
patch will works well for OpenBSD.

You will find on this mail list the list of steps in order to get ERP5
running on any Linux system (mail from Bartłomiej Górny), you should
probably do the same thing.

As always, it is more simple to use the LiveCD if you want to get ERP5
running very quickly.

-- End of FAQ