[Erp5-dev] performance of reindex object

Bartek Gorny bartek at gorny.edu.pl
Fri Feb 12 09:45:13 CET 2010

Hello,

I'm running a production instance of ERP5, and I have a performance
problem - reindexing some documents consumes a lot of CPU power.
Sometimes reindexing four of five docs takes more then a minute, with
mysql consuming up to 200% CPU and python processes eating up another
50% (this is a virtual machine running on three CPU cores, using ZEO,
with three processing nodes). Something is definitely wrong - my
question is, where should I begin to look for a problem. I read
"performance crimes", and I don't seem to have committed any of those
(at least not outright). Any advice, how to trace and where the
problem may arise, would be most welcome.

The dbase is not very big - count of objects in tables are:

catalog: 380K
category:950K
delivery:4K
movement: 130K
predicate:160K
predicate_category:160K
roles_and_users:2K
stock:40K

So, is there a problem, have I done something wrong, or is it just too much?

"Software is largely a service industry operating under the persistent
but unfounded delusion that it is a manufacturing industry."
Eric S.Raymond, "The Magic Cauldron"