[Erp5-dev] Unreorganized ERP5 Documentation

Bartek Gorny bartek at gorny.edu.pl
Tue Sep 29 15:16:15 CEST 2009

2009/9/18 Rafael Monnerat <rafael at nexedi.com>:
>> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/ERP5_Handbook -----> This link contains
>> architecture of ERP5, and also security model.This documentation link
>> is very poor. I've opened among 3 months but it still not complete.
>> Nothing something new on this link.
>>
> I don't know if the creators still updating or maintained it.

No, they don't. The handbook was an initiative of Łukasz Nowak, me and
three other Polish guys, about two years ago. We saw a desperate need
of a comprehensive document, which would allow a newcomer to climb the
learning curve (which in the case of ERP5 is awfully steep) step by
step. In the current state of documentation, someone trying to learn
ERP5 has to put together scraps of information from various places and
guess or work out the missing pieces - which takes months of very hard
work and requires outstanding perseverance, even toughness. There is
very few people determined enough to do so, especially given that
competing projects provide tons of documentation, demos, sample
applications, even publish books. We realized that if we want the
community to grow, we had to provide something usable. A wikibooks
formula seemed a good way for it.

Obviously, we wanted to do it together with Nexedi, since it is them
who possess the real knowledge. We were in an open source world,
anyway, and worked for the benefit of the same project. The problem
was that Nexedi completely ignored this initiative. Nobody ever
contributed a single line, nobody even bothered to review what we
wrote. It is rather difficult to write good docs without any
cooperation from the author.

On erp5.org, there is a grave warning: "The Handbook is a separate
structure for now and contains some inadequacies thus should not be
fully trusted, but is going to be merged with this wiki once it is
reviewed and all errors fixed." This sentence has been writted
eighteen months ago. From what I know, there was no review and nothing
has been merged with the wiki. So much for "community projects".

Bartek

>> On the other hand, ERP5 documentation can be found in
>> http://cps.erp5.org/sections/erp/
>> cps.erp5.org <http://cps.erp5.org> is the old ERP5 links. but, why
>> developer not reorganized ?
> This contains really old stuff, all relevant content here should be
> already moved to wiki. If you find something not migrated you can
> migrate yourself also (everyone can edit the wiki) or you can send a
> mail to this mailing list, people will verify.
>>
>> I'm sorry if I criticize about ERP5 documentation. but, it's really
>> unrecognized and not up-to date.
>>
> Regards,
>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Reza
>>
>> --
>>
>>     exodream - beyond a dream
>>     Everyone has rights to get what they expect.
>>
>>     ----Free Software is better than Open Source----
>>     Why ? See www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html
>>     <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html>
>>
>>     Join Free Software Foundation at
>>     https://my.fsf.org/associate/support_freedom/join_fsf?
>>     Take all of advantages by Joining FSF. Join Now !!
>>

>> i n f i n i t y . s o l u t i o n (www.infi-nity.com
>> <http://www.infi-nity.com>) - pt. vikasa infinity anugrah
>> bsd city sektor 14 - ruko golden madrid g/9 - tangerang 15321 - indonesia
>> t: +62 (21) 5316 4796  f: +62 (21) 5316 4797 m:+62 816 956207
>> Contact me at + 62 878 3229 5036
>>

> --
> Rafael Manhães Monnerat, Nexedi Developer - Tel. +55 (22) 8808 8500
> ERP5 Enterprise: Free / Open Source ERP for Critical Applications
> http://www.erp5.com
> Tio Live: Hosted Open Source ERP for small companies
> http://www.tiolive.com
> Nexedi: Consulting and Development of Free / Open Source Software
> http://www.nexedi.com

"Software is largely a service industry operating under the persistent
but unfounded delusion that it is a manufacturing industry."
Eric S.Raymond, "The Magic Cauldron"