[Erp5-dev] Performance on 32 vs. 64 bits machines

Jacek Medrzycki jacek at erp5.pl
Wed Jun 11 11:56:35 CEST 2008

Hi!

I've run some performance tests recently.

I've installed 32 bits Mdv. 2008.1 with ERP5, run tests, then on the
same machine I've installed 64 bits Mdv 2008.1 with ERP5 and run the
same tests. Both systems were installed on the same disks/partitions to
exclude any hardware influence. All systems were "out of the box"
installations, with ERP5 from their respective repositories.

The tests included some stock tests (amont others testPerformance,
testInventory, testInventoryApi) and some customized tests (eg. multiple
rendering a complicated page (with cacheing disabled) from one of sites
we are currently developing), testMultiRequestPerformance on a fresh
site, oood performance tests (based on testOoodAllFormats). All tests
were timed with time command.

Surprisingly, I have noticed practically no performance gain for 64 bits
over 32 bits. Oood test was even slower on 64bits. Inventory tests were
a little bit faster on 64, but the difference is not very relevant (eg.
555 vs 564 seconds). Other tests gave practically the same times on both
machines.

The machine on which the tests was run: 64 bit AMD processor with
1800MHz clock, and 1G of memory.

I have heard that there should be significant performance gain on 64
bits, so I'm a little bit confused. Is something wrong with my test
environment? Perhaps the machine is too weak to see the performance
gain, or some additional config work should be done on 64, or somewhat?

Regards
Jacek