[Erp5-dev] [Erp5-report] r20493 - in /erp5/trunk/products/ERP5/bootstrap/erp5_xhtml_style: SkinTemplat...

Romain Courteaud romain at nexedi.com
Thu Apr 17 16:27:38 CEST 2008

* bartek [2008-04-17 12:40:22 +0200]:

> > Functionnal tests were failing since 3 weeks (see for example:
> > http://mail.nexedi.com/pipermail/erp5-report/2008-April/021001.html).
> >

> Would you mind me fixing it and putting it back?

I would be very happy if you could do it.

> I think the second failure can be fixed by adjusting the test itself,
> and the first requires minor change to the css.

Those functionnal tests are only the top of the iceberg, and more fixes
are probably required.

> > As all functionalities of the CSS are not tested, and as your
> > modification is for now only used in experimental, I decided to move
> > your change to the experimental repo.
>
> I think it is better to keep the number of changes in experimental as
> low as possible, otherwise we will run into compatibility problems. So,
> like in this case: if there is a new feature in experimental which
> requires only a minor change in the core, then it's better to make this
> change in the core - this would reduce maintenance cost, and later
> merging experimental features into the core will be much easier.

I completely agree with your point of point, except that I don't
consider the change done in 'field_render' as minor.

Currently, there is no automatic verification of the rendering of pages
by the CSS. It is only validated by developpers because we use the
system each day, but, some css classes are not checked usually,
because not used in most of the forms (like invisible, maybe figure, and
probably others).

In order to integrate your change, somebody has to check everything
manually and need to write tests for all css functionnalities.
With those tests, modifications will be easier to integrate later, as we
will all have certitude of CSS usability.

Personnaly, I don't know how to automatically guaranty the CSS. So, I
think you will have to check all the existing CSS manually.

As it was not done yet, I prefered to push the change to experimental,
where it is only used currently.

Regards,
Romain