[Erp5-dev] Proposal for CSV import/export enhancements

Łukasz Nowak lukasz.nowak at ventis.com.pl
Tue Oct 16 13:22:18 CEST 2007

Hello,

While playing with production we are able to import BOMs and many
other useful information from various CAD/CAM/etc programs using CSV.

As CSV is quite...hm...undefined, there are many problems. Many
programs use different implementation of CSV - some of them use ";" as
separator some ",". Some use '"' as quote mark, some "'". Some use
UTF-8 encoding, some other ASCII, and so on. So, IMHO, importing of
CSV might be two-phase system. First one upload file, second one
choose some attributes and provide user special listbox, which will
"simulate" how will system understand provided CSV. Something similar
to OpenOffice CSV import/export dialog.

Exporting might be also enhanced, to support many CSV types.

I'm able to provide such dialogues, create basic unit tests, and make
such changes backward compatible. We need it and I think some other
implementation would be happy to have featured CSV import/export.

What do you think about it? Would you accept to create erp5_csv_enhanced
Business Template on which I would do my development and then, after
acceptation and review put it into erp5_core, or shall I do it in-house
and publicise work when done? Sending work efforts to mailing list is
quite, hm, problematic. It would end up with patches, to patches, to
patches, and so on...

``Use the Source, Luke...''
I am only craftsman. Maybe good one, but only craftsman.