[Erp5-dev] ERP5 Release System - proposal

Yoshinori Okuji yo at nexedi.com
Wed Oct 3 12:06:52 CEST 2007

On Monday 01 October 2007 12:31, bartek wrote:
> This sounds very nice. My question would be, what do we do then if an
> important bugfix is made some time after the release? Seems to me some
> backporting/patching job will still be needed, because there is no way
> to do a bugfix release since we are in single-trunk and the development
> has already restarted.

My preference is, not to keep the trunk unstable too long anyway. In
principle, the trunk should be - ideally - usable at any time. I know this is
impossible in practice, but it should be feasible to make things stable again
in a few days or a few weeks, and we have been doing so.

Then, backporting would not be really required. Let's say, we have made a
release which contained a serious bug. If the head is stable enough, we can
publish a new release immediately. If not, we make the head stable as soon as
possible, hopefully in some days, and release it.

This way has been effective in my other projects, so I think there is no
reason that it does not work in ERP5.

However, as I mentioned, if we can allocate people enough for backporting, I
don't object to backport bugfixes.

YO
--
Yoshinori Okuji, Nexedi CTO
ERP5: Full Featured High End Open Source ERP