[Erp5-dev] translating accounting transaction lines

Bartłomiej Górny bartek at redpoint.mn.pl
Mon Jan 23 11:36:55 CET 2006

Jean-Paul Smets wrote:
> Le Dimanche 22 Janvier 2006 21:18, Bartłomiej Górny a écrit :
>> Yoshinori Okuji wrote:
>>> Only the accounting transaction lines use "id" to specify the
>>> purpose/indications of the objects. This looks inconsistent to me.
>>> Usually, we use the property "reference" or a category to refer to a
>>> certain object, so I prefer to change the implementation.
>> Organisation and Person modules do the same - they have predefined,
>> automatically added lines ('default_address', 'default_telephone' etc.)
>> and they show their id's in the listbox.
>>
>> This is a big problem when it comes to i18n, because when the lines are
>> automatically added, I need to (a) be able to translate what is shown in
>> the listbox, and (b) distribute translation via bt5. So, for example, my
>> 'hack' doesn't solve thw problem, because getTranslatedTitle uses the
>> 'content' message catalog, which doesn't go to bt5.
>
> The id is not supposed to be displayed and is not supposed to be used for
> user interface but only for programming (lust like properties such as price
> or quantity in objects which are not translated of course). So, I do not
> think the problem you mention exists in reality (beyond the fact that IDs
> are still displayed in some places in ERP5 and should stop being
> displayed).
>
> The right approach is to use properties such as title for user interface and
> not to display ids. The case of title is a bit complex (this is a known
> issue) because titles sometimes belong to content (ex. person title) and
> sometimes to user interface (ex. module title). Until a perfect solution is
> found, I suggest the following approach.
>
> 	- define a title on transaction lines
> 	- display the translated title rather than the id in listbox
> 	- force the use of ui message catalog to translate title in listbox for
> accounting transactions

Could you advise how force the use of ui catalog? I thought about such a
solution - I put translated_title into the listbox, but couldn't figure
out how to change the way it is translated.

BG

--
"Software is largely a service industry operating under the persistent
but unfounded delusion that it is a manufacturing industry."