[Erp5-dev] naming consistency

Yoshinori Okuji yo at nexedi.com
Wed Apr 13 12:27:30 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 10:13 pm, Sebastien Robin wrote:
> Indeed, the 25 aug 2004, and I'm sorry to not have noticed the problem
> discussed below at that time.

I didn't intend to be offensive. If you feel so, I appologize it.

> I tried to guess about what you where talking about, and I guess this is
> about the title of the StringField my_id in forms.

You are right.

> I looked at many places, and this is some titles found for many different
> fields:
>
> City
> Description
> Group
> Role
>
> Usually, the capital letter is only for the first caracter, so, why are we
> doing exception for id ? Why it should be only capital letters ?
>
> When it is possible, we should try to not have exceptions, so it will
> prevent many errors. Is it possible to use 'Id' everywhere instead of
> 'ID' ?

The reason is that "ID" is an abbriviation of "identifier". My way of thinking
is that real words should be capitalized only at their first characters,
while abbriviations should be written in uppercase entirely. For example,
"city" is a real word. So it should be written as "City". "VAT" is an
abbriviation, so it should be written as "VAT" instead of "Vat".

Some examples:

- VAT
- BIC
- TEL
- FAX
- ID

- Name
- Address
- Title
- Tax
- Destination

"ID" is actually a bit complicated, because even some native speakers use
"Id". Probably they think "id" is like a real word nowadays. In fact, some
Zope code (not all!) use "Id". But, according to a survey on the Internet,
"ID" is more common than "Id", and, once we accept using "Id", it would make
our rule quite ambiguous (e.g. Is "tel" like a real word?).

I will summerize this rule in a document today. If you have any objection, let
me know as soon as possible. I'd like to reach a good agreement before
enforcing the rule.

YO
--
Yoshinori Okuji, Nexedi Research Director
ERP5: Free / Open Source ERP Software for small and medium companies