[Erp5-dev] ERP5 Evaluation

Sebastien Robin seb at nexedi.com
Mon May 17 10:15:25 CEST 2004

Hi Steve,

First, thank you about your interest on ERP5.
I'm sorry that you spent so many times on the installation of ERP5. For
sure it is really hard to do it by hand, and it is probably a nightmare.

> - I didn't know how incomplete INSTALL.txt was until I stumbled across
>   http://www.en.erp5.org/workspaces/project/guide/ERP5Dependencies/view
>   -- INSTALL.txt should probably just refer to the ERP5Dependencies
>   page, so you don't have to maintain that information in two places.

This is a great idea.

> - I didn't know how incomplete ERP5Dependencies was until I started
>   realizing that some of the packages listed in ERP5Dependencies in
> turn have dependencies that aren't in standard python, Zope, or CMF.
>
> - I didn't realize that ERP5Dependencies was missing critical version
>   information until I was several hours into the process, when I
> started suspecting that ERP5 is not compatible with the latest version
> of many Zope products, or perhaps with Zope 2.7 itself...

ERP5 is dependant on many products. That's why we have created many RPMS
for Mandrake GNU/Linux. May be you prefer Debian, but if you want to try
ERP5, the best way is to install Mandrake on one box (it takes only a few
minutes) and then install ERP5 (our packages are on contrib sources of
Mandrake). May be one day someone will do packages for Debian, but it is
not the case actually.
ERP5 is Zope 2.7 compatible, but for some products, we use old version,
and for some others we use old version changed by us, so the best way is
to use our RPMS. By the way, you will be able to find all our versions
thanks to rpm.

> - By the time a few hours had gone by I realized a great deal of what I
>   was installing were things that were added to ERP5 in later
>   iterations, and were likewise things that I wouldn't need myself in
>   the near future, if ever.  I found myself wishing for a more modular
>   ERP5 -- something that would allow me to just install a minimal core,
>   then later add reporting, SyncML, psyco, and the like.  That might
>   have made it more possible for me to complete the evaluation.

This would be great. I would like at least to decrease the number of
dependencies for ERP5, but I have more important things to do actually.

> - I spent a great deal of time trying to build and install all of the
>   PIL prerequisites, including tcl and tk, before I realized I
>   apparently just needed to copy Imaging-1.1.4/PIL into lib/python.
>   Maybe -- still not sure on this one.

I don't know for debian. On Mandrake we use python-imaging.

> - You probably want to maintain an ERP5-specific get_request patch
>   instead of using iHotfix -- for one thing, I had to rename it to
>   AiHotfix to get it to load early enough.  For another thing, I'm not
>   sure that the latest version of iHotfix is compatible with ERP5, or
>   maybe Localizer.  It was late at night by the time I came to that
>   conclusion, so I don't remember now what the specifics were.   I do
>   remember staring for a while at line 100 of iHotfix/__init__.py:
>
>       # XXX What happens when Localizer 1.0 and iHotfix are installed??
>
> - Because there is no tarball release schedule for CMFWiki, it being an
>   unsupported product, I needed to get it from cvs.zope.org.  But about
>   2 weeks ago Tres did a lot of refactoring which made CMFWiki
>   incompatible with the most recent CMF tarball (1.4.3).  The symptom
> is an error importing a permissions module.  See

You should use the tarball stored inside the rpm. We use CMF 1.4.2 without
any patch.

For all problems of install, the only way actually is to use Mandrake
10.0.

Best regards.

  Sebastien.

--
Sebastien ROBIN

About www.nexedi.com

Nexedi is a consulting and development services company helping small and
medium organisations to choose open source / free software and fulfill
their IT application needs. Nexedi is the founder of the ERP5 project, a
Free / Open Source ERP software based on innovative technologies
(www.erp5.org).

About www.storever.com

Storever provides a reliable source for OpenBrick, WiFi infrastructure,
notebooks and servers preconfigured with the GNU/Linux operating system