[Neo-users] Questions regarding NEO

Vincent Pelletier vincent at nexedi.com
Thu Jul 21 12:13:23 CEST 2011

Hi.

First, I would like to make it clear that NEO is not currently considered
production-ready. It's not admin-friendly to setup (especially there are no
safeguards for destructive actions), and no implemented multi-node backup
tools (although for single-node, it's possible to use mysql backup tools of
course).
Contributions (code, doc, usage feedback, ...) are very welcome, and we are
willing to spend time documenting stuff when asked (it's hard for us to tell
which internal should be documented and how, and in which order).

Le lundi 18 juillet 2011 09:45:56, Jurand Nogiec a écrit :
> Are there any organizations currently using, supporting, or evaluating
> the neoppod software?

Pilot-Systems[1]'s Objectis[2] offering provides Plone sites which use NEO as
a ZODB storage. MINES ParisTech[3] is internally developping an application
using NEO.
Also, it is being studied by two research teams (LIPN[4], LIP6[5]) to get its
functionality formally proven.

> Which and how many organizations and team-members are in charge of
> support for NEO system?

There is one company developping NEO: Nexedi[6]. We are currently two
developers (myself and Julien) working on that code.

> When is it estimated that the last serious bug regarding an object
> change missing on a Storage (a data corruption fault) could be fixed,

It should hopefully be fixed within two weeks, as time permits.

> and is it feasible to use the NEO while it remains unresolved?

Until we identify precisely problem variables, it's hard to tell for sure.
We do have automated tests running on single storage, single replicate setup,
and they are very stable nowadays.

[1] http://www.pilotsystems.net/
[2] http://www.objectis.org/
[3] http://www.mines-paristech.fr/