[Erp5-users] What happened to it? --> http://www.raskon.org/trac/erp5/wiki/Erp5Ubuntu

Boris Kocherov bk at raskon.org
Wed Nov 24 16:18:36 CET 2010

On 24/11/10 10:02, Nicolas Dumazet wrote:
> On 11/24/2010 01:57 AM, Boris Kocherov wrote:
> > On 22/11/10 23:04, bartek wrote:

> >> You must have more luck then me - I once tried branching with svn, then
> >> stacking patches with Mercurial Queues, and in both cases the results
> >> were not promising.
> >  Do you use 'hg qrecord' and 'hg record' ? These commands allow commit part
> > of changes of files. Git contains similar, but more convenient functionality.
> >

> Out of curiosity, why is Git more convenient here?
 Git have more usefull user interface. Hg have not 'git staging area'.
You can read more about git staging by url
http://www.gitready.com/beginner/2009/01/18/the-staging-area.html
My experince with hg: i often forget to select or select excess blocks and
commit wrong changeset.

> Is it because Hg records changes by blocks? (Meaning that you cannot
> split a block into lines, and select only parts of a block to use it?)

 I do not know about this featuture in Git,Mercurial and did not use it.

Using GIT instead of Mercurial in ERP5 branching/merging/patching has
the important advantages:
 1. GIT patch view works 1-3 secs vs Mercurial's 10 secs. As a result GIT
 bisect works much faster.
 2. GIT is able to show diffs and annotates of python bt5 scripts packed in
 xml as if the scripts were not packed.
 3. The ERP5 GIT tree allocate 200Mb vs 500Mb in HG.
 4. The Nexedi developers who use GIT can add...

Best regards,
    Boris Kocherov

--
Crisis had come unexpectedly, just as winter comes unexpectedly to
Russia every year.