[Erp5-users] Multiply unsuccessful with LiveCD erp5-1.0rc9.iso

Geoff Gardiner ggardiner at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 20 13:17:39 CEST 2006

Reluctantly, I think I may have to give up trying to find out more about
ERP5 for the moment - at least from the 1.0rc9 LiveCD. I have successfully
downloaded the ISO torrent (md5 checked out) and burnt the CD, but have
failed to complete the installation on 4 different systems.

I've set out the details below for reference.

1) On a CentOS 4.2-based system with 1GB RAM, all proceeds happily until the
web page localhost:8080/cgi-bin/index.cgi starts up with the message 'Error
could not find or create the directory "erp5cd" ...'. Indeed there's nothing
under /mnt/storage, so that seems consistent. The system uses a SATA disk so
maybe Mandriva still doesn't recognize them.

2) On a server with VMware 5.5, I have a Centos 4.3 VM with 1.5GB RAM that
behaves almost identically to 1). I don't know what the disk drive looks
like through VMware, but doubt that it's pretending to be SATA.

3) On a blank VMware Linux VM with 1.5GB RAM, I tried to reformat the disk
after CD boot (from the option on the page 'Error could not find or create
the directory "erp5cd"), but that ceased after a few seconds with the
message that the formatting had failed and the the partition was inoperable.

4) On a Dell Latitude D610 laptop under Windows XP, after preparation
described in the readme (c:\erp5cd\fs.img with fully open permissions),
LiveCD booting starts but early on in the process drops into a restricted
shell. There may be things on the laptop that are forcing this (I'm using
Acronis OS Selector to select boot partitions, for example), but it's not my
preferred system to do this on.

On all 4 systems, the splash screen at the start of bootup has a very
strange look - you can see "Welcome to ERP5 LiveCD" Ok but the rest of the
screen is just fragments of colour. Maybe this is an indicator of a problem.
Are there MD5s for the individual elements on the LiveCD anywhere?

On the 3 Linux systems (maybe also the Windows, I can't remember) there was
a failure at the point "loading basic CDROM modules for Kernel 2.6" during
Mandriva booting. There was also a failure at "starting system logger". I'm
not sure if these are significant.

Geoff