[Erp5-users] Rich client support - Realbasic?

Jean-Paul Smets jp at nexedi.com
Wed Feb 23 09:08:33 CET 2005

Dear Sebastien,

Thanks for your advice. I know Real Basic is good technically. However, it
is non free software and ERP5 is meant to be free software (GPL license).

For now, we consider using a PyQt based approach (GPL license on all
platforms, exists on embedded systems). We have already developped a
prototype 2 years ago with a self contained installer for windows platform
(similar to what you describe).

Other approches which we find interesting consist in developping a browser
plugin which provides a rich client from within a web browser. This allows
to simplify the deployment of rich client application. We have seen this in
action in retail industry.

However, no customers of ours has any will to finance a rich client because
they find rich client mostly useless. So, rich client is not a priority for
us yet. We prefer working on improving the API and the HTML interface.

Le Mercredi 23 Février 2005 08:08, Sebastian Ware a écrit :
> I just want to mention this as a possible solution for rich client
> development for ERP5:
>
> Realbasic - cross-platform development and deployment of single file
> executables (Win/Macosx/Linux). http://www.realbasic.com/
>
> With a ERP5 services API using web services. Compare with Electric
> Butterfly's solution for Amazon Web Services.
> http://www.ebutterfly.com/rb/wslamazon.asp

Interesting.