[Erp5-users] Localization of ERP5 for China and Hong Kong

LeungMiriam1 Leung_miriam1 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 10:00:34 CET 2005

Yo,

I've just tried with the ERP5 livecd. It's good work.

What actually attracts me is ERP5's abstract design model. It gives me
hope that this will be a very promising software. I hope this software
can help SMEs in China mainland and Hong Kong to get to the right level
of computerization. Just like Liming, I would like to assist in the
localization of the software for China. We can form a community in
China/Hong Kong to work on this. Is there an online collaborative
development platform that we can work on?

Simply message translation is not enough to attract any customer in
China. China has very strict requirements on local accounting practices
and taxation requirements. These are the very basics that must be
supported. We must customize the ERP5 accounting system before we can
convince the enterprises in China to consider using this software.

I would like to come to Nexedi in early March to look at a full
demonstration on the system and learn how to set up the system. Please
provide me a point of contact so that I can arrange my trip.

Miriam

On Thursday 03 February 2005 12:24, Liming_Do wrote:
 > I am glad to spend part time to ERP5.Could you evaluate the workload
 > of the translating and localising? Because I have full time job in
 > daytime.we need more peoples join in the work, if workload is large.
 > How did you make your japanese translation?officials sponsor or
 > community sponsor?

The Japanese translation was actually a test case for the message
translation system. A customer required a good message translation
machanism for multiple languages, so we set up the infrastructure and
demonstrated it with Japanese.

The translation itself is not very expensive, because you only have to
translate messages. The time required for a translation depends on how
much you are used to translating English to your language and the
number of messages. Since most messages are very short (like less than
10 words), for me, it takes 1 hour to translate 100 messages.

One problem is that you may sometimes encounter bugs related to Unicode
strings then you have to investigate the code. I don't think this often
happens now, because we have already fixed many bugs.

But, if you want to localize, say, the accounting system, this requires
deep knowledge and understanding about ERP5, so it takes more time.
Probably some training would be necessary for this.

Personally, I would recommend simply translating messages first. By
this, you could get used to how to use ERP5 naturally, and this would
attract more Chinese people. Considering that there are so many good
developers in China, this is a good starting point in supporting
Chinese business with ERP5.

YO
--
Yoshinori Okuji, Nexedi Research Director
ERP5: Free / Open Source ERP Software for small and medium companies