[Erp5-dev] person and vat code

Jean-Paul Smets jp at nexedi.com
Thu Feb 5 16:38:35 CET 2009

Bartek Gorny a écrit :
> 2009/2/5 Jean-Paul Smets <jp at nexedi.com>:
>

>> Thanks. There are 2 numbers:
>>    fiscal_code which is the NIP in Poland and applied to everyone
>>    vat_code which is (in Poland) equal to a prefix + NIP (but not in
>> other countries) which is ony for Organisation
>>

> That's quite correct, but - please keep in mind that while a business
> has to have a NIP to operate, it doesn't necessarily need EU Vat code
> - the EU code is required only if you trade with other EU countries.
> Inside the country, only the NIP is used. So if you define it like
> that, you will have many Organisations which would issue vat invoices
> and pay vat without having the "vat_code", only with the
> "fiscal_code".
>
> By the way, how is the EU Vat constructed for French entities? And how
> it works in other EU countries?

It works differently in every country. In general (anywhere in the
world), there is
    - registration code provided by the business registry for the company
    - a fiscal code, or revenue tax code, which is like NIP in Poland

In most countries, there is
    - registration code provided by the business registry for each
office of the company

In some countries, those which have VAT, there is
    - a vat_code which can be somehow be the same or different from the
fiscal code

In some countries, those which have a statistics institute, there is:
     - an activity code to produce nation statistics

In France, the vat_code is similar to the registration code, not to the
fiscal code. I am sure in other countries, it could be fully unrelated.