[Erp5-dev] guard agains concurrent edits

bartek bartek at erp5.pl
Mon Jun 30 13:30:16 CEST 2008

Hi,

Would it be feasible to implement a kind of a "guard" against concurrent
edits of the same object? I mean this: if I open a form to edit, and
while I'm typing another guy opens the same form, edits and saves, then
when I save the form the other guy's changes will be silently
overwritten, and nobody would be notified. In a multi-user environment
this can cause serious issues.

I see two ways to solve it: first is MoinMoin-like, the other would be
to store original data and load time in a form and upon submission
checking if modification date has been changed, and if so then it would
be possible to check if there are conflicts.

What do you think?

"feelings affect productivity. (...) unhappy people write worse
software, and less of it."
Karl Fogel, "Producing Open Source Software"