[Erp5-dev] Activity semaphoring/locking mechanisms, was: activate_kw for activities - how to use?

Yoshinori Okuji yo at nexedi.com
Tue Mar 11 12:58:50 CET 2008

On Tuesday 11 March 2008 12:23, Łukasz Nowak wrote:
> Thank you very much. Is it ok if I update wiki with those information?

If you do, please include this:

activity_kw is a way to pass parameters to the activate method which is
invoked internally from another method. That is the only way to pass such
parameters at the moment, but the design is flawed. Originally, I (yo)
invented this parameter only for reindexObject, and it was good enough in
this case, because a single method call happened here at one level. Other
developers, however, extended the meaning, and started to propagate
activity_kw at multiple levels to multiple methods, and this was wrong, since
the scope is too large.

Scheduling is so complicated to get it right. For now, parameter passing is
often hardcoded in Products, when fine-grained control is required, but this
is against the policy of ERP5, where flexibility is put importance on.

I have an idea of making so-called "tag space" to automatically generate
appropriate scheduling parameters, based on dependency information injected
by the user. However, this requires a tremendous amount of research to make
it be correct and usable, and the details are not fixed yet.

Regards,
YO
--
Yoshinori Okuji, Nexedi CTO
ERP5: Full Featured High End Open Source ERP