[Erp5-dev] ERP5 Release System - proposal

bartek bartek at erp5.pl
Wed Oct 10 13:40:49 CEST 2007

Yoshinori Okuji wrote:
> On Monday 01 October 2007 12:31, bartek wrote:
>> This sounds very nice. My question would be, what do we do then if an
>> important bugfix is made some time after the release? Seems to me some
>> backporting/patching job will still be needed, because there is no way
>> to do a bugfix release since we are in single-trunk and the development
>> has already restarted.
>
> My preference is, not to keep the trunk unstable too long anyway. In
> principle, the trunk should be - ideally - usable at any time. I know this is
> impossible in practice, but it should be feasible to make things stable again
> in a few days or a few weeks, and we have been doing so.

So, back to your classification, it would be purely "quality-based"
releasing?

> Then, backporting would not be really required. Let's say, we have made a
> release which contained a serious bug. If the head is stable enough, we can
> publish a new release immediately. If not, we make the head stable as soon as
> possible, hopefully in some days, and release it.
>
> This way has been effective in my other projects, so I think there is no
> reason that it does not work in ERP5.
>
> However, as I mentioned, if we can allocate people enough for backporting, I
> don't object to backport bugfixes.

Some of it seems inevitable - like, if a bugfix is made after the
developers have already begun work on a major new feature.

B.

--
"feelings affect productivity. (...) unhappy people write worse
software, and less of it."