[Erp5-dev] ERP5 Release System - proposal

bartek bartek at erp5.pl
Mon Oct 1 12:31:00 CEST 2007

Yoshinori Okuji wrote:
[cut]

> The way I did was the following: when I started to feel that I wanted to make
> a new version, for example, because we had a good set of new functionality, I
> forced people to stop writing a new feature, but encouraged people to test
> the head, and fix it. In the meantime, all patches sent to me were waited,
> and kept pending. Once I was satisified with the quality of code, I put a tag
> and release it. Then, I restarted the normal cycle of development, and
> integrating pending contribution.
>
> Actually, this was so effective. All contributors understood that this was
> required, and accepted that patches were in a pending state. Besides stopping
> people to modify the head brutally, no extra cost was raised.
>
> Surely, we must analyze if this way is effective for ERP5 as well, but I feel
> that this is more appropriate.

This sounds very nice. My question would be, what do we do then if an
important bugfix is made some time after the release? Seems to me some
backporting/patching job will still be needed, because there is no way
to do a bugfix release since we are in single-trunk and the development
has already restarted.

"feelings affect productivity. (...) unhappy people write worse
software, and less of it."
Karl Fogel, "Producing Open Source Software"