[Erp5-dev] ERP5 Release System - proposal

Łukasz Nowak lukasz.nowak at ventis.com.pl
Mon Oct 1 12:03:14 CEST 2007

Hello Yoshinori,
On 2007-09-27, 23:49:40
Yoshinori Okuji <yo at nexedi.com> wrote:

(...)

> I hope my message would be useful for further discussion. Please let
> me know what you think.

From my (community user and developer) point of view *any* release
system will be cost cut-down.

What we proposed was semi-release scenario - after reading your email I
feel, that you want to provide releases as good as possible - that's
great. What driven us for such release process was cutting down costs
of releases from Nexedi and put it on community - so it would be more
like community driven releases - and it would be stated on release
related information. But (if I understood you well) you'd like to
Nexedi have full control of release process - then community will be
happy (I hope), because releases quality will be much higher.

I didn't know the state of discussion about releases in ERP5 - they
weren't publicised for now. So I'm quite happy to read that much about
ERP5 development. I hope that current development model of ERP5 is able
to accept any release model.

On related discussion page[1] Jean-Paul put nice time constraints on
releases, which are quite acceptable from community point of view (what
*community* thinks about it?)

As I'm pushing the idea of releases I'd like to know:

 * how may we - the community - help Nexedi to start release
process
 * how may we - the community - participate in maintenance of release
process when it begun
 * when first release appear (in one week, month, quarter. year)

I hope that releases will become early enough. Right now I'm again
attached to quite old revision - that's because again my knowledge
about ERP5, related stuff, analysing erp5-report reports is not good
enough to give me warm feeling saying me "that revision is good, consume
few days to make successful upgrade to it". Release would give me (and
community, and even non-community implementers) such feeling (it would
be based on release quality).

I'm not impatient - when I'll know how long I'd have to wait for
releases, I'll try to synchronise my work with your plans.

[1] http://www.erp5.org/Discussion/ReleaseProcess

PS. It would be great if other community members would activate on this
topic - I think releases that's what community lack most, so it is
up to community to have them. And *help* with it.

``Use the Source, Luke...''