[Erp5-dev] erp5_catalog business template

Yoshinori Okuji yo at nexedi.com
Wed Apr 6 17:47:55 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 01:06 pm, Alexandre Boeglin wrote:
> For now, I created it as a separated business template, but maybe its
> content should be merged into erp5_core in the future ?

It depends on how cleanly you want to make things. If you want to go fast,
merging it into erp5_core is very easy. But I don't think this is technically
good, because:

- If erp5_core has too many things, you must upgrade the whole template even
when you just want to upgrade a few things. Since erp5_core includes some
critical objects, this is not funny.

- If you bloat erp5_core, the maintenance becomes heavier (cvs update takes
more time, cvs diff emits a huge number of lines, etc.).

One very clean solution is:

- Add support for dependencies into Template Tool.

- Divide erp5_core into several templates.

- Make erp5_core as a virtual template which depends on those smaller
templates.

I do not expect that you would like to do this, though. ;)

YO
--
Yoshinori Okuji, Nexedi Research Director
ERP5: Free / Open Source ERP Software for small and medium companies